Non NHS fees

How much our non-NHS services cost.

Why do we sometimes charge fees?

The NHS provides health care free of charge, but there are exceptions.

It is important to understand that GPs are self-employed and offer their services to the NHS and they have to cover their costs eg. staff, buildings, heating, lighting, etc. The NHS covers these costs for NHS work, but for non-NHS work.

The British Medical Association (BMA) suggests fees for non-NHS work which is not covered under a GP’s NHS contract. However, these fees are guidelines only, not recommendations, and a doctor is not obliged to charge the rates suggested.

Why can it take a long time to complete a form?

Time spent completing forms and preparing reports takes the GP away from the medical care of his or her patients. Most GPs have a very heavy NHS workload and this paperwork is done in around the patient care.

When a doctor signs a certificate or completes a report, it is a condition of remaining on the Medical Register that they only sign what they know to be true. In order to complete even the simplest of forms, therefore, the doctor might have to check the patient’s entire medical record. Carelessness or an inaccurate report can have serious consequences for the doctor.

What is the charge?

Our updated fees from 1st April 2022 are detailed below.

Please be aware that payment must be made before the private work is carried out.

Private prescription   (i.e. Travel vaccinations)£20
Private Sick Note£30
Holiday Cancellation/Short Form/Short Letter£30
Detailed Letter/Form/Certificate£90
Medical Examination (by pre-booked appointment)
(HGV, PSV, Elderly Driver, Taxi)
Fitness Medical & Report
(Fit to Fly, Sporting Events)
£50 – £100
*Price dependant on report required

Subject Access Requests (SAR):

Under GDPR the Practice will provide this information free of charge.  However, the Practice can charge a reasonable fee when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive.

Individuals wishing to make a subject access request should:

  • Make a written application to the Practice.  An SAR application form is available here to assist with this process: Subject Access Request Form
  • Provide such further information as the Practice may require to sufficiently identify the individual.

The application will be actioned within one calendar month of receipt of the request.  This period can be extended for a further two months where requests are complex or extensive.  The Practice will inform the individual within one month of receipt of the request if this is the case and provide an explanation of why the extension is necessary.