Practice Complaints Procedure

Most problems can be resolved quickly and easily, by raising your concerns at the time they arise. Where you are unable to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint, please do so using the procedure below.

Step 1: Making a Complaint

Complaints can be made verbally, in writing or electronically. The complaint should be submitted as soon as possible after the event and not later than 12 months.

Submitting Your Complaint:

Verbally – To the Practice Manager

Email – [email protected]

Written – The Practice Manager, Park Road Medical Centre, 44 Park Road, Guiseley, LS20 8AR

Step 2: Investigation

Whenever a complaint is received, the Practice aims to:

  • Investigate what happened and why.
  • Make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.
  • Resolve any issues where possible.
  • Identify any learning points for discussion in house to encourage shared learning within the Practice.
  • Provide you with a full explanation of the event and the outcomes.

Step 3: Practice Response

The Practice will:

  • Acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days of receipt.
  • Aim to provide a written response within 4 weeks.  If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, keep you informed as the investigation progress and agree an extended response time.
  • The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Step 4: If you are dissatisfied with the outcome

You have the right to approach the Health Service Ombudsman.

The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP

Tel:    0345 0154033


You may also approach PALS for help or advice:

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) provide confidential advice and support, helping you to sort out any concerns you may have about the care we provide, guiding you through the different services available from the NHS.

PALS – 0113 2066261

Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else

A complaint may be made by someone acting on behalf of a person who:

  • Has died.
  • Is a child.
  • Is unable to make the complaint themselves because of physical incapacity or lack of capacity within the meaning of the Mental Capacity Act.
  • Has requested representation on their behalf (with written consent). We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

Any complaints or issues raised will not affect any ongoing treatment from the surgery.